Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 9: The Case Of The Switching Muses

All right, so I hit my 50k goal, as I said in my last blog post. The novel I've been writing is sitting at 62.5k right now. I decided to take a quick break from Kay's story, one that he's been pushing me to write since I started NaNoWriMo and I started on a mystery that's straddling the line between YA and horror, depending on the kinds of supernatural things come out of the woodwork. Here's the summary:

Craig Gallagher's mother is an urban legend for the antics that she displayed right before she was committed when he was young, and the story's about his journey to coming to terms with the trauma in his past. This includes going back to the dilapidated house that he'd grown up in on Halloween and facing the demons of the past. He has no idea what awaits him and what other horrors and traumas he might encounter inside the house when the door gets locked behind him and a few friends on Halloween night.

The thing is, since I started this story a day ago, I haven't been able to go back to Kay's story at all. I've got about 4k in on it so far. I thought I'd be able to balance them, but my muses are so demanding that one eclipses the other. What happened to my ability to write a few stories at once? Am I just getting old and now I can only work on one at a time?

This is a legitimate problem. I suppose I have time to finish Kay's story since I literally just submitted the first part of his story to my publisher and I won't get a response back for a few weeks, but I really wanted to get it finished. Oh well, muses are finicky like that.

At least this story's different, and that's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment