Sunday, November 11, 2012

Day 11: One Down, One To Go

So, finally, I finished my first novel, Drawing By Heart. You say, finally? Really? It's been eleven days! I say, yes this is true, but I also got tackled by another plot that was ten times more challenging and interesting to write because it's been so long since I wrote a suspense novel. I wasn't sure I'd be able to go back to Kay's story once I'd started Craig's.

I'm happy to report that I have given Kay's second novel a very tentative ending that I will revisit in December, albeit it's open to a third book in his series, which shouldn't be surprising. He's a very complex little muse, isn't he? I have no idea where he's going to take me next.

In the meantime, I have Gallagher's Torment, in which Craig is slowly losing his mind. It's quite fun to go back to my roots of horror and suspense writing, and I've found that I missed writing that sort of thing immensely. I don't know why I stopped writing them, because I have such a passion for the weird and the macabre. I don't know where I ended up forgoing my instincts for the darkness in favor of trying to write one-dimensional romance stories.

At any rate, I'm glad to be getting back into this groove, and while I feel like this story isn't going to breach even 25k, I can't wait to see where it ends up. Craig is a very interesting character, and the supporting characters are all great too. They're making it difficult to choose who should end up being the victim of the madness. Oh well, I'll let Craig choose once he slips from reality.

So I ask before I go back to noveling: Has anyone else ever gone back to a genre after staying away from it for so long only to feel like you're being welcomed home?

2 comments:

  1. I write in different genre. I've only just been published in erotic romance, simply because a publisher picked me up there first. Won't stop me writing my other stuff though this currently takes precedence (of course). I love writing historical too though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much the same way. I love writing all kinds of stories, from horror to erotic romance to family sagas and back again, but erotic romance seems to be where publishers seem to pick work up from. I've been trying in vain for years to write a historical novel. I don't think I have the focus for it!

    hanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete